A PLACE FOR YOU
- Assist specialty departments with escorting patients
- Transporting labs and specimen to the hospital laboratory
- Donating a few hours a week in the new Surgery Emergency (information desk)
- Provide administrative support in one of our offices
- Support our blood donor department
- Become a “Friendly Caller” to those who may need a visit, reading and/or etc.
- Become a “baby Cuddler” in our NICU area
- Work in pediatrics and/or child life department assisting staff with children
- Assist in fundraising or other events at the hospital
- Join our Harbor-UCLA Guild (non-profit) with their hospital vision for our patients
- Become a mentor – for natural leaders to assist the Junior Society (group of young motivated individuals driven to make a difference for our hospital in need program)
- Provide assistance wherever the need is throughout our facility
“There are many areas of opportunities; if your desire is not mentioned (above) we will definitely try to assist you in meeting your goal”
Harbor-UCLA wants you to be part of their team! After you have completed orientation and processed in (i.e., live scan and employee health clearance, you will receive an invitation to orientation) and begin immediately. Although, all special assignments will require a written authorization letter from the department head; a monthly commitment from the volunteer and then you are ready to begin. Volunteers choosing administrative or other support functions will receive an orientation and on-the-job training as well.
Each volunteer I free to choose how much time he or she would like to give as long as the mandatory 2-4 hours weekly requirement is met. Most volunteers choose two to four hours weekly, bus some prefer to be available to fill in as needed.
BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING
Volunteers often find that their greatest satisfaction comes from contributing to the well-being of others. Volunteers will also have the opportunity to apply their talents in fields different from their usual work. For some, volunteering may even lead to a new career and/or an opportunity to their college choice. Their gifts of time, energy and skills fill a unique role that only they can provide. In the past, volunteers have also shared what they have learned from working with other dedicated professionals and volunteers alike.
FINDING YOUR NICHE AT HARBOR-UCLA VOLUNTEER OFFICE
To explore volunteer opportunities at Harbor, call the Volunteer Programs Department at (310) 222-3258 and or visit our link (on-line application) at: http://dhs.lacounty.gov/cef within 3-5 days after completing an application on line please follow-up doing the following:
- Call the above number for approval status
- Follow-up by visiting our office to assist you in completing the process and eventually attending orientation
After completions of orientation and processing in; you will meet with one of our staff members to help you find your place at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.
Thank you for your interest in one of the best places to volunteer, Harbor-UCLA!
For additional information, please call our volunteer office at:
Offices Hours & Location
- Bernice Hill-Shepherd, BS, MA,
Volunteer Programs Director
1000 West Carson Street
Rm #108 (first floor)
Torrance, CA 90509
- General Contact
- General Visiting Hours
Monday-Friday 8:30 A.M. – 5:30 P.M.