How do I Apply?:
- Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcript
- Dean’s Letter
- Three letters of recommendation (including one from the Chair of the Department of Medicine)
- USMLE Transcripts (sent directly from NBME to ERAS)
- IMGs must submit their PTAL (California Letter) prior to the application deadline
Applications are only accepted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
All positions for first-year residents are offered through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
For international medical graduates, you must have your California Letter (PTAL) before the deadline for applications (12-15-17).
- Strong motivation to provide optimal medical care for predominantly medically-underserved patients
- Performance in college and medical school, not limited to GPA alone
- Interest and ability in teaching
- Other activities, such as interests within or outside medicine, including research
- Personal interview
- Interest in Harbor-UCLA Medical Center and its specific character and goals.
After review of application material in ERAS, we will be offering interviews for Categorical Medicine by invitation only. Because we are a relatively small program with only 17 Categorical Medicine positions, the number of interviews has been limited to about 30% of applicants.
For those who have interviewed and would like to come back for a second look, we will be having Second Look opportunities on select Tuesdays in January. Please send us an email or ask about it on your interview day if you are interested. These are the current dates:
- January 8, 2019
- January 15, 2019
- January 22, 2019
- January 29, 2019
Preliminary Year Program
Sub-Internships and Advanced Clinical Clerkships
Is there a requirement for the number of years since graduation from medical school?
No, but the vast majority of our housestaff enter the program upon graduation from medical school.
Is US clinical experience required?
Does your program have a minimum USMLE score requirement?
No. Our program does not have specific minimum score requirements for USMLE, but applicants who are granted interviews and those who subsequently join our program usually have scores that are well above average.
Does your program require a letter of recommendation from a U.S. source?
Do You Accept Foreign Medical Graduates?
We have had ECFMG in our program.
Do You Sponsor Visas?
No, all Clinical J-1 visas must be via ECFMG.