Applying to the Surgical Pathology Fellowship

Program Description: This one-year fellowship is designed to provide practice-level experience and responsibility in diagnostic surgical pathology. The Fellow will participate in the daily activities of the division of Surgical Pathology as a Junior Attending staff, assuming responsibility for first-look review of all surgical cases with junior residents and sign-out of uncomplicated surgical pathology cases. Other rotations include intraoperative frozen section experience and the opportunity for sign-out of referred cases with senior staff. The program provides for elective months of additional advanced training in subspecialty areas such as GI pathology, GYN pathology, dermatopathology, hematopathology, neuropathology, cytopathology, electron microscopy and molecular biology. Research opportunities are also available in a variety of subspecialty areas of surgical pathology. The Fellow will be able to participate in a wide variety of clinically and research-oriented intra- and inter-departmental educational conferences.

Requirements: Applicant will have completed at least three years in straight AP or four years combined AP/CP training by the time the fellowship starts. A California medical license will be needed.

Stipend: Fellows will be paid at the level of fifth-year residents ($71,970) at this institution.

For application and additional information, please contact:
Contact: Adriana Flores  |   Telephone: 310-222-2201  |  Fax: 310-222-8002  |  E-mail:

Letters should be addressed to:
Shi-Kaung Peng, MD, PhD
Director of Surgical Pathology
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
1000 W Carson St
Torrance, CA 90509

Check list for Candidate Information

  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Self-statement of background/Career plans
  • Letters of recommendation (3)
  • California Medical License
  • Picture (optional)
  • Medical school diploma

Foreign Applicants

  • ECFMG certificate
  • Postgraduate Authorization Training Letter from the Medical Board of California
  • If not a citizen, we need copy of green card, or work permit