Torrance, CA 90509
Phone: (310) 222-5295
Fax: (310) 222-3887
- Internship and Residency in Pediatrics, Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles, California
- Fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, California
- Former National Institutes of Health Trainee, Pediatric Endocrinology, Harbor-UCLA
- Data Safety Monitor for the General Clinical Research Center (GCRC), Harbor-UCLA and LA BioMed
- M.D., Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- B.A., Rice University, Houston, Texas
American Board of Pediatrics, Pediatric Endocrinology
1. Mao CS, Riegelhuth ME, Van Gundy D, Cortez C, Melendez S, Ipp E. An overnight insulin infusion algorithm provides morning normoglycemia and can be used to predict insulin requirements in noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997 Aug;82(8):2466-70. Erratum in: J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1998 Mar;83(3):876. PMID: 9253319
2. Mao CS, Berman N, Roberts K, Ipp E. Glucose entrainment of high-frequency plasma insulin oscillations in control and type 2 diabetic subjects. Diabetes. 1999 Apr;48(4):714-21. PMID: 10102686
3. Mao CS, Bassilian S, Lim SK, Lee WN. Underestimation of gluconeogenesis by the[U-(13)C(6)]glucose method: effect of lack of isotope equilibrium. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Feb;282(2):E376-85. PMID: 11788370
4. Bassilian S, Ahmed S, Lim SK, Boros LG, Mao CS, Lee WN. Loss of regulation of lipogenesis in the Zucker diabetic rat. II. Changes in stearate and oleate synthesis. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Mar;282(3):E507-13. PMID: 11832351
5. Mao CS, Berman N, Ipp E. Loss of entrainment of high-frequency plasma insulin oscillations in type 2 diabetes is likely a glucose-specific beta-cell defect. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Jul;287(1):E50-4. Epub 2004 Mar 2. PMID: 14998786
6. Swan SH, Main KM, Liu F, Stewart SL, Kruse RL, Calafat AM, Mao CS, Redmon JB, Ternand CL, Sullivan S, Teague JL; Study for Future Families Research Team. Decrease in anogenital distance among male infants with prenatal phthalate exposure. Environ Health Perspect. 2005 Aug;113(8):1056-61. Erratum in: Environ Health Perspect. 2005 Sep;113(9):A583. PMID: 16079079
7. Yee JK, Mao CS. Short stature: a case report of primary hypothyroidism and low stimulated growth hormone response. Endo Trends. 13(4):1, 3-4, 2006.
8. Yee JK, Mao CS, Hummel HS, Lim S, Sugano S, Rehan VK, Xiao G, Lee WN. Compartmentalization of stearoyl-coenzyme A desaturase 1 activity in HepG2 cells. J Lipid Res. 2008 Oct;49(10):2124-34. Epub 2008 Jul 3. PMID: 18599738
9. Arbuckle TE, Hauser R, Swan SH, Mao CS, Longnecker MP, Main KM, Whyatt RM, Mendola P, Legrand M, Rovet J, Till C, Wade M, Jarrell J, Matthews S, Van Vliet G, Bornehag CG, Mieusset R. Meeting report: measuring endocrine-sensitive endpoints within the first years of life. Environ Health Perspect. 2008 Jul;116(7):948-51. PMID: 18629319
10. Wahjudi PN, Patterson ME, Lim S, Yee JK, Mao CS, Lee WN. Measurement of glucose and fructose in clinical samples using gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. Clin Biochem. 2010 Jan;43(1-2):198-207. Epub 2009 Sep 8. PMID: 19747474
11. Patterson ME, Sakkour SM, French SW, Mao CS, Lee WNP. Mauriac Syndrome: Etiology and Pathology. EndoTrends. 2010;17(1):9-11.
12. Patterson ME, Mao CS, Yeh MW, Ipp E, Cortina G, Barank D, Vasinrapee P, Pawlikowska-Haddal A, Lee WN, Yee JK. Hyperinsulinism Presenting In Childhood and Treatment By Conservative Pancreatectomy. Endocr Pract. 2012 May 1:1-14. PMID: 2254894
PubMed Search for Catherine S. Mao
I moved to California for internship and residency fully intending to move back to Texas for fellowship training. After discovering great weather, no humidity, and the lack of giant mosquitoes, I decided to stay in sunny Southern California for fellowship training at Harbor-UCLA and live at the best little beach town – Hermosa Beach. After fellowship, I joined the faculty here and have continued to love being a part of Harbor-UCLA Pediatrics.
My research interests include endocrine disruptors, various aspects of obesity, short stature obesity, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes, abnormalities in sexual differentiation, abnormalities in pubertal development, the endocrine system, biochemistry-carbohydrates, physiological processes, and special instruments used to study metabolism, such as stabile isotope with GCMS analysis. I also have an active interest in research ethics that stemmed from my involvement as the data and safety monitor for LA Biomed’s General Clinical Research Center.