Below are some examples past and current research projects undertaken by residents.
Faculty mentor: Roger J. Lewis, M.D., Ph.D. (Department of Emergency Medicine)
Detection of Undiagnosed Diabetes and Prediabetic States in High-risk Emergency Department Patients
Faculty mentor: Ruey-Kang Chang, M.D., M.P.H.
1) Echocardiographic evaluation of right ventricle in children with sickle cell disease.
2) Meta-analysis of pulse oximetry for screening of infants for critical congenital heart disease.
3) Phonocardiographic evaluation of heart murmurs, comparing the recording of heart sounds and murmurs and interpretation by different cardiologists.
4) Echocardiographic characterization of right ventricular mass in newborns.
Pediatric Infectious Disease:
Faculty mentors: Ken Zangwill, M.D., and Sylvia Yeh, M.D.
1) Evaluation of the epidemiology of tuberculosis in Los Angeles County.
2) Evaluation of the clinical management of children with aseptic meningitis.
3) Assessment of vaccination usage in underserved communities.
Faculty mentor: Paul Fu, Jr., M.D., M.P.H.
1) Availability and reliability of consumer health information on the Web.
2) Cultural and linguistic sensitivity of on-line patient education tools.
3) Use of social networks to assist in chronic disease management.