Harbor-UCLA Back Story
In 1951, Harbor General Hospital affiliated with the University of California as a teaching hospital for the UCLA School of Medicine (as well as with the UCLA School of Dentistry in 1971). Following the passage of a bond issue in the mid 1950’s, a new eight story replacement facility opened in 1963. While the basic structure has changed very little since that time, there have been remodeling programs to keep the hospital current with changes in the medical practice.
The Medical Center Today
All of the approximately 300 full-time faculty as well as some of the more than 450 part-time and voluntary professional staff hold faculty appointments at the UCLA School of Medicine. They devote their time to the clinical care of the patients, research, and teaching at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. The nearly 450 residents and fellows training at Harbor also contribute to these endeavors. The hospital sponsors 34 Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education accredited residency and fellowship programs as well as other graduate medical training programs. The hospital also serves as a major training site for medical students from the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science.
The Emergency Room has been enlarged and a number of special care units have been constructed from what were formerly ward rooms. In 1994, the 50,000 square foot Edward J. Foley Primary Care and Diagnostic Center was opened. Over the years the hospital and medical programs of the facility have grown and improved